Lund / Full Time / Remote OK
At Backtick, we’re a mix of software engineers, data engineers and data scientists. We're a small consultancy company helping our customers go from data to production machine learning systems. Backtick is a leading company in MLOps and open sourced Cowait early 2020. We embrace remote work, provided that you can communicate and collaborate effectively with your team. Our office is in central Lund.
We're looking for a data engineer to join our team. In this role, you will help implement state of the art data engineering best practises, both in projects for our customers, internal projects and open source software. You will work primarily in cloud infrastructure environments, leveraging managed services as well as open source solutions to perform data collection, data processing, data management, distributed computing, scheduling, data pipelines and CI/CD.
You have a strong background in computer science or similar fields. You have a curious mind and are eager to learn. Ideally, you have a positive mindset around open source. You value simplicity and performance. In addition, you'll have:
- Empathy and a humble attitude
- A preference for writing maintainable code and pipelines
- Acceptance for occasional hacky one-off solutions
- A solid understanding of computer hardware and networking
- An understanding of the the data science ecosystem in python: Pandas, Numpy, Sklearn, Jupyter
You have experience working with:
- At least one cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure), and some of the managed data engineering solutions they offer
- Linux, shell scripting, git
- A few different database types such as SQL, MongoDB, InfluxD, Redis or similar.
- Object storage, data lakes or data warehouse solutions.
- Docker, Kubernetes, registries and build systems.
You're familiar with, or at least have a basic understanding of the purpose of the following:
- A few relevant formats (json, parquet, avro, orc) and partitioning schemes for big data
- Some stream processing software, such as Kafka
- Distributed computing systems, such as Spark or Dask
- A workflow scheduling system, such as Airflow, Luigi, Prefect or Cowait
- Solutions for infrastructure as code, such as Terraform
Working at Backtick
At Backtick, we strive first and foremost to provide value to our customers. However, we also spend significant resources on R&D and product development. We encourage you to work on whatever you want every other Friday. In addition, we organize an autumn adventure trip every year, as well as the ever more popular hackathon Codecation, which in 2021 takes place at Silverfield Villa.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work hours and vacation
- $500 stipend for your home office, should you work remote
- A generous budget for hardware, education and tools
- Lots of fun gear to play around with (3d-printer, bare metal office cluster)
- Possibility to purchase shares in the company
- Fika and breakfasts
If you are interested in this position, please reach out with a brief introduction and your resume to:
Oskar Handmark, firstname.lastname@example.org