Evaluation of pricing models for data platform solutions
Lund / Full Time / Lund, Sweden
Backtick Technologies provides consultancy services in software engineering, data engineering, data science, artificial intelligence and related fields. Today, Backtick employs 12 engineers and has customers in the enterprise and startup world alike. In 2023, we’re building a state of the art data platform product, and we could use your help!
At Backtick, new technologies are used to solve previously impossible problems. We’ve conquered big data issues with regards to performance, scalability and discoverability for numerous customers and are now building our own product, a modern data platform.
Because of GDPR, information security and other privacy regulations, we have observed that customers want to control their own data (i.e data is stored on premise or in their own cloud account, rather than somewhere else). Self-hosted or hybrid hosted solutions are one way to accommodate this need.
There are currently quite a few very different pricing models set by the industry leaders and startups in the data platform space. These include:
- Charging per user and per usage
- Inventing your own “compute metric” and in accordance to resources used
- Charging a license cost based on tiered usage
- Charging based on storage used
- Charging a markup of the cloud providers’ spot price for machines
- Charging for the cloud providers’ spot price for machines while negotiating better prices with the cloud provider
You will work in close collaboration with the founding team of Backtick to:
- Research previous, current and future pricing models of data platforms or similar products, with regards to both self-hosted solutions and cloud based solutions.
- Analyze and theorize about the preferred pricing model for our data platform.
- Design a strategy for how to implement these pricing models
Of course, you will need to gather data to be able to do the above. We can think of a few sources and datasets that will help you. You will also conduct interviews with current and potential customers, partners, founders and investors. We can provide these contacts for you.
As a side note, we’re developing this product in collaboration with a customer. This calls for further financial analysis and considerations with regards to licenses, since they are funding part of the development of the product.
We hope your contribution can have an impact in this space. We promise to be transparent and help you in the best possible way to write a great thesis. We encourage you to come up with your own research questions, but here are some ideas:
- What are the current pricing models in the data platform landscape?
- How can existing pricing models be further improved to accommodate self-hosted and cloud-hybrid solutions?
- What are the financial properties of true win-win situations when building products with customers?
Who are we?
At Backtick, we’re a mix of innovators, software engineers, data engineers and data scientists. We’re a small consultancy company helping our customers go from data to production ready machine learning systems. We have an office in central Lund, and you are welcome to sit with us. Read more about us at backtick.se
Who are you?
You have a background in Entrepreneurship, Innovation, Finance, Industrial Engineering and Management, Computer Science or similar fields. You have a genuine interest in startups and technology. Perhaps you’re interested in early stage startup investments. You like exploring new things and can communicate well.
You appreciate great engineering, value quality and transparency. Ideally, you have a positive mindset around flat company structures.
Start date & duration
Jan/Feb/Mar 2023, 30 HP (~1 semester)
Introduce yourself in a few lines to:
Oskar Handmark, Co-founder email@example.com